NOTE: The information below is relevant to customers of Revue Publisher, a version of Revue for large creators and publications, currently in private beta.
If you want to add a step where someone can proof-read or quality-check the work done by individual editors before they send or schedule a newsletter issue, we’ve got you covered.
During the onboarding phase of signing up to a Publisher plan, you’ll be asked whether you’d like to enable the Approval workflow. Below, you’ll find an explanation of how that works and how you can enable it for specific newsletters.
When Approval is activated, a few things change when you log into Revue as an Admin:
- An ‘Issues’ tab will appear in the top navigation for Admin users where you can manage issues that are submitted for approval:
- Individual newsletters can have the Approval workflow enabled (NB. This means you can choose which of your newsletters you wish to activate this workflow on). Click the drop-down arrow next to the newsletter in the ‘Newsletters’ tab, then ‘Edit profile’. You’ll see a tab for ‘Approval workflow’ where you can enable Approval for that newsletter.
- Reviewers can be assigned to each individual newsletter. Underneath where you enabled Approval, select an Admin from the drop-down list to act as the Reviewer (They will get email notifications, but all Admins will be able to approve or reject issues from the ‘Issues’ tab on the main Publisher page):
- Editors for newsletters where Approval is enabled can no longer send or schedule issues right away. Instead, the ‘Schedule’ button will be replaced with ‘Submit for review’:
Here’s what happens when an issue is submitted for approval
- An Editor clicks ‘Submit for review’
- The Admin that is assigned as Reviewer for that newsletter receives an email notification prompting them to approve or reject the issue draft. They can open a preview of the issue, approve it, reject it, or log in to edit the issue.
- The ‘Issues’ tab at the top will also show the newsletter issue under ‘Awaiting approval’. Any Admin in the Publisher account can approve or reject it from here:
If a Reviewer or Admin clicks ‘Approve’, a screen opens with an option to leave a comment for the Editor, and confirm the approval. That triggers another email back to the Editor who will then be able to schedule the issue.
If a Reviewer or Admin clicks ‘Reject’, a screen opens with an option to leave a comment for the Editor, and confirm the rejection. That triggers another email back to the Editor who will then be able to make edits and resubmit the issue for approval.
That’s how it works! Try it out and let us know what you think.
Check out these articles to learn more about Revue Publisher: